Respite Barwon South West - Barwon Health - Carer Support Services





Respite Barwon South West is the Commonwealth Respite and Care-link Centre for the Barwon Region. Our Carer Support Staff provide emotional support and guided referral to other services including carer counselling as required. We also offer a range of programs and services that reflect the diversity of the carers we support.

Who are carers? Carers are family members and friends who care for someone who has a disability, chronic or mental illness or is frail aged. The person they care for has difficulty managing at home or in the community without assistance.

What is respite? Respite is a short period of rest or break. It is important for a carer to take a break from their role as a carer and daily challenges. Respite provides carers some time to focus on their wellbeing.


Am I eligible to use this service?

Any carer living in the Barwon South West region including City of Greater Geelong, Surf Coast Shire, Colac Otway Shire and Borough of Queenscliff, City of Warrnambool, Glenelg, Moyne, Corangamite and Southern Grampians Shires is eligible to use this service. Carers can be parents, partners, spouses, children or friends who provide support for people who are aged, disabled or chronically ill.


Are there any free services or programs that are useful to me as a carer?

General carer support
Support for carers of the frail aged and people with dementia to plan and co-ordinate respite services in the home, community or in an aged care facility.

Mental health carer support
The Mental health carer support worker assists carers of people with a mental illness to provide short term or occasional flexible respite, including short breaks and outings.

Young Carers Program
Support for young people under 20 years of age who are at risk of leaving school or not completing their study or training due to their caring responsibilities.

Emergency service
We provide a 24 hour service for carers needing to access in-home respite in the event of an emergency, such as carer illness or accident, or other family crisis. We can arrange immediate, short-term in-home respite and assist carers to access other alternative care should the crisis last more than a couple of days.


Are there any services that  I may need to pay for but that are useful to me as a carer?

Residential respite booking service
Carers are provided with information, assistance and support to access a short-term stay in a residential aged care facility for their person. We provide a planned, aged residential respite booking service and maintain a register of respite vacancies across the Barwon South West region.

Flexible respite service
This service provides innovative, flexible respite options including in and out of home respite, overnight stays or a few days away for carers and their dependent family member, providing specialised support for people with dementia.

Opening Hours 

9.00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.  


Cost to Use the Service

There is no cost for information, referral and carer support.  To find out whether there is a fee for a service please contact us


Translation Services as English is my Second Language

Translation services are available upon request




Find us on Facebook


For more Information and Support Contact Us Via...

p. 1800 052 222

national relay service (a phone solution for people who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impediment). 1800 555 727

telephone interpreter service. 131 450


a.  104-108 Bellarine Hwy NEWCOMB VIC 3219
p.  03 4215 7600

a.   64B Banyan Street WARRNAMBOOL VIC 3280
p.  03 5564 6052

NDIS Registered? No

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is the organisation accessible for people with disabilities? No