Carers Victoria - Carer Support Services

Contact details

1/37 Albert Street
Footscray VIC 3350



Carers Victoria is the statewide peak voice for Carers representing and providing state-wide support, free local counselling, advice, advocacy, education and training to Carers in Victoria. We are also the Commonwealth Carer Respite Centre for the Western region of Melbourne and as such  provide Carer Respite services throughout that region. Carers Victoria promotes recognition of Carers to government, business and the community


Am I eligible to use this service?

This state-wide service is available to all Carers residing in Victoria. 

The carer respite service offered by Carers Victoria is only available in the Western region of Melbourne specifically Moonee Valley, Maribyrnong, Brimbank, Melton, Wyndham and Hobsons Bay.  Each region in Victoria has their own local Centre that provides a carer respite service. 


Are there any free services or programs that are useful to me as a carer?

State-wide Counselling and Support Service - Free face to face counselling can be organised in your local area.  Phone counselling is also available.  Carers Victoria delivers carer counselling and support services through a network of state and territory Carer Associations. These associations are funded by the Australian Government through the National Carer Counselling Program (NCCP).

Respite service for carers in the Western Region (rest and a break for carers from their caring role).

Types of respite available:

Every care situation is different. What works for one family may not work for another.

There are many different types of respite support available. Some common types are listed below.

In home: a support worker looks after the person you care for in your home

  • Facility or residential based: your family member stays for a short period in a care facility like an aged care home or supported accommodation
  • Community based: the person you care for joins a day program at an adult day centre, neighbourhood house or community health centre
  • Alternative family care: your family and friends may be able to help with your caring responsibilities while you take a break. Some organisations can also arrange for a trained volunteer carer or family to provide regular care, activities and friendship for the person you care for.
  • Recreation based: you and your family member can join organised recreation, social or leisure activities either together or separately.
  • Emergency respite: is sometimes available if you need to deal with sudden illness, accidents, family troubles or emergencies.

Advocacy - assistance in dealing with organisations and situations

Advice/Information for carers - contact Carers Victoria to speak to a social worker regarding advice, information and referrals to relevant services.

Assistance for young, ethnic, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Island, Lesbian, gay, trans* and intersex carers,

Better Start Program - The Better Start for Children with Disability initiative provides funding for early intervention services. Children are eligible for the Better Start program if diagnosed with one of the following disabilities: Cerebral palsy, Deaf blindness, Down syndrome, including mosaic Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome with full mutation, Hearing impairment, Sight impairment, Prader-Willi syndrome, Williams syndrome, Angelman, Syndrome, Kabuki syndrome, Smith-Magenis syndrome, CHARGE syndrome, Cornelia de Lange syndrome, Rett's Disorder, Cri du Chat syndrome; or Microcephaly. Each disability included in the Better Start program is subject to an eligibility threshold (contact Carers Vic for more information). These thresholds have been determined by the Department of Social Services. Children with an eligible diagnosis must register for Better Start before they turn 6 years old. A child will have until they turn 7 to access funding. Children registered with Better Start can access up to $12,000 (maximum $6,000 per year) to pay for early intervention services. These services include: audiology, occupational therapy, orthoptics, physiotherapy, psychology and speech pathology. Families living in outer regional or remote areas may be eligible for an additional one-off payment of $2,000. This payment is to assist with additional expenses associated with accessing services.

No Interest Loan Scheme - provides individuals and families on a low income access to safe, fair and affordable credit. NO FEES, NO CHARGES NO INTERESTMaximum loan amounts may vary, but credit can start from $300 up to $1200 for essential goods and services. Once your application is approved, repayments are set up at an affordable amount over a 12 to 18 months period. With NILS, no credit checks are made as this is a program based on trust and respect. WHAT ARE THE LOANS FOR? Loans are generally available for the purchase of essential goods and services. These may include:

  • Household items like fridges, freezers, washing machines, stoves, clothes dryers and some furniture
  • Some medical and dental services
  • Educational essentials such as computers and text books
  • Some other items as requested.

DO I QUALIFY FOR NILS? Programs are run by local community organisations at over 600 locations across Australia. To qualify you must:Have a Health Care Card/Pension Card or be on a low income, Reside in your current premises for more than 3 months, Show a willingness and capacity to repay. *In certain circumstances, the community organisation may consider amending the eligibility criteria upon loan application. 

Education and Training For Carers


Are there any services that I need to pay for but that are useful to me as a carer?

All services offered by Carers Victoria to Carers are Free of Charge.  

We offer Education and Training services to other service providers which may attract costs however any training provided to Carers is free of charge.


Opening Hours

8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.  There is a telephone answering machine available when the office is unattended


Cost to Use the Service

Nil for Carers


Translation Services as English is my Second Language

Available upon request




Find Us On Facebook


For more Information and Support Contact Us Via...

p.  1800 242 636 or 03 9396 9500


a.  1/37 Albert Street, Footscray VIC 3011


NDIS Registered? No

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is the organisation accessible for people with disabilities? No